Версия для слабовидящих transparent_line
Kobrin district
executive committee
(
fotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_image
Menu
h_line_delimetr
History

According to archeological sources, there are in borders of the Kobrin district more than 20 settlements at which ancient stations were placed. First people appeared in these places approximately 14 thousand years ago, at the end of the Stone Age. Primeval tribes in IX-Vth century B.C. developed the grounds of the western Polessye. In X-VIIth centuries B.C. the territory of the modern western Belarus tribes of a swiderskaya culture occupied - their station in five kilometers in northeast direction from Divin, near the lake Lyuban is found. In IX-XII centuries the Kobrin grounds were inhabited by Slavs. From the end of Xth century the Kobrin grounds were in the structure of Old Russian state with the capital in Kiev.

On the legend, Kobrin derives from a fishing settlement locating at the confluence of the river Kobrinka in the river Mukhavets and situating on the way from the Baltic sea to the Black sea: Visla - Bug - Mukhovets - Pina - Pripyat - Dnepr. It is supposed, that the city is founded by a descendant of the Kiev prince Izjaslav in XI-XII centuries.

In written sources Kobrin for the first time in 1287 in Ipatyevskaya chronicle is mentioned. At that time it was a part of the Vladimir-Volynsk princedom. After in 1315 the grounds up to Bug were jointed to the Great Lithuanian Principality (the GLP), and since 1366 Kobrin to Great Lithuanian prince Olgerd belonged, and also since 1387 the dynasty of Kobrin princes began its existence. Kobrin from 1387 to 1519 was the centre of an appanage princedom in the structure of the Great Lithuanian Principality.

Since 1520 the Kobrin powiat was in the structure Podliashskiy woewodship of the GLP, and from 1566 in the structure of Berestejskiy woewodship. In 1540 on the territory of Kobrin a channel of the queen Bona - the first known in Belarus land-reclamation object is introduced.

In 1589 Kobrin received self-government on basis of the Magdeburg right. Kobrin inhabitants henceforth could have the own administrative body - town council at the head of a burgomaster. It was allowed to be engaged freely in handicraft or trade, to keep taverns, to use the state measures, to organize weekly (on Mondays) a tender in the market, and twice a year - in autumn and in winter - to carry out fairs. An emblem and a seal was granted to Kobrin. On December, 10, 1589 the city for the first time received its own emblem - two female figures on a silver field, one of them holds a child on the hands.

Many things saw the town during its existence. The revolt of Ukrainian and Belarus peoples under the command of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy did’nt avoid the Kobrin grounds. In October, 1648 the Kobrin peasants rebelled, this rebellion has been brutal stifled by the Polish feudal lords. In 1660 Kobrin was occupied by Swedes. And in 1662 the rebelling Lithuanian army rushed here. In 1706 Kobrin was occupied and plundered by armies of Swedish king Karl the XІІ during the Northern war of 1700-1721 years.

In 1794 the revolt for reestablishment of Rzecz Pospolita independence under the leadership of Tadeush Kostyushko - the son of the Belarusian ground (further - the national Hero of Poland, the United States of America, the honourable citizen of France) flared up.

On September, 14, 1794 Suvorov's armies broke rebels’ troops under Divin and have occupied Kobrin. And in three days the Russian army won the corps at the head of the general Serakovskiy. The suburban manor «Kobrinski kliuch» was granted by an imperial edict to the field-marshal Suvorov, in which he lived in the years 1797-1800. In 1946 the house of the commander was transformed into a military-historical museum. And in the 1768 year a fine park (the modern Suvorov park) appeared in the town.

During the Patriotic war in 1812 the Russian army has gained the first victory over Napoleonic armies in Kobrin. To the 100-anniversary of this event in 1912 in Kobrin a monument in honour of Russian soldiers was established. The War of 1812 crippled the town greatly. From 630 housing buildings of the town only 79 remained. But little by little Kobrin was built up. In the beginning of XIX century here lived about 2 thousand inhabitants. Kobrin inhabitants were engaged in manufacturing of clothes and footwear, bred baking, timbering and joinery, pottery. In the same years Kobrin began to come forth as a large highways junction.

On September, 17, 1845 Kobrin as one of uyezd townes of Grodno province, received a new emblem - a plough on a green field.

In 1846 to the highway Moscow - Warsaw is laid and the first post station in Kobrin is appeared. Kobrin became an active shopping centre. Here to the middle of XIX century six fairs functioned on which not only inhabitants of the district came, but also from neighbouring regions, and also from more far places of Belarus. During the revolt of 1863-1864 years in Kobrin the detachment of Romuald Traugutt operated. The owner of a manor "Ostrov" on Kobrinshchina, the scientist, the militarian man - Traugutt has taken a command under insurgents.

Since 1882 the traffic on the section of Polesskiy railway Pinsk-Zhabinka is opened. In Kobrin the railway station appeared. According to the data of 1897 the population in Kobrin achieved 10 thousand persons.

During the First World War, in 1915 Kobrin and Kobrin district were occupied by Germans. In the 1921 year Kobrin according to the Riga peace treaty passed to the structure of Poland. The reorganized Kobrin powiat was included in Polesskiy woewodship.

On September, 1, 1939 the Second World War began and on September, 17 on approaches to Kobrin took place a fight of Polish armies with German corps. On September, 22, 1939 the Soviet army entered Kobrin. On January, 15, 1940 the Kobrin district in the structure of Brest region was created.

At the beginning of Great Patriotic War, on June, 23, 1941 Kobrin was occupied by fascist invaders. Cruel battles, heroism courage and firmness, resistance against enemies characterize all history of the Kobrin gound, Great Patriotic War period.

Struggle against invaders was conducted by guerrilla groups and detachments antifascist underground committee, underground district committee of Communist party of Byelorussia.

On July, 20, 1944 Kobrin by soldiers of the 12-th Guards of Pinsk Red Banner detachment and the 212-th Krichevskaya shooting division was released.

In May, 1945 began shipping on the renovated Dnepro-Bug cannel. From that time the town is constantly under construction. Since 1963 Kobrin is a town of regional submission.

 
Banner
Contact
Kobrin district
executive committee
225306, Kobrin, Lenin place, 3,
e-mail: kbr-priem@brest.by
h_line_delimetr
Banner
Banner
Kobrin district
executive committee
225306, Kobrin, Lenin place, 3,
e-mail: kbr-priem@brest.by
Web-site elaboration by
the BRMUE "Centre of Inculcation of Scientific and Technical Researches"
Kamenets Brest Malorita Zhabinka Pruzhany Kobrin Bereza Drogichin Ivatsevichi Ivanovo Baranovichi Liahovichi Gantsevichi Pinsk Luninets Stolin